Friday, July 6, 2007

Catching up, part 3

Here are some images from Eclecto-man's neck:











I've had a ball the last two days carving this thing. Good thing too -- there are still seven disemnecked bodies in my shop. The necks are underway, but Eclectoman's is first to get to this stage. PGM's is close in tow.

As previously indicated, Eclecto-guy is a classical player. So, I've left the board pretty wide, two inches at the nut, and I'm shooting for a 2-5/16" saddle spread. I wanted to mimic the dimensions to which he's grown accustomed. He says he can get used to anything. I believe him. Further probing (under booze) got him to confess a preference for the classical layout. But he also likes an action uncharacteristically low on a nylon string maiden. So I'm being picky about the angle to the body.

It's a total gas to get the neck shape to work out. I mean, this is the one bit of the beast the eventual player will be pressing into his or her anatomy, and in an organ peculiarly sensitive to shape. At first, this neck was too squarish; more rasping. Then, too thick near the nut; more rasping. Finer rasping. Filing. Lots of sanding. And, the heel treatment is a chance for a bit of fun. I put a long-toed shoe on the bottom of the heel.

Eclecto man, if ye hates it, I can fix.

Don't know if you can see the grain in the board and headplate, but it's pretty dramatic. The box is straight grained sapele (but pretty stuff) and will make this jewel of a fingerboard stand out.

And, if you're concerned, that's NOT the final headstock shape. It'll be much prettier, I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited already!